Biofuels Energy Project
Innovations in waste-energy recovery provide clean power for fuel cells in San Diego.
The BioFuels energy project includes both the development of a methane gas treatment facility at the City of San Diego’s Point Loma wastewater treatment plant, and the installation of three fuel cells at multiple locations in San Diego.
The purified methane gas from the wastewater treatment site will be inserted into San Diego Gas & Electric’s natural gas pipeline and nominated for use at two of the fuel cell locations.
A 2.8 MW fuel cell will be located at U.C. San Diego and will be part of the school’s East Campus Sustainability Park. The other two fuel cells will be located at the City of San Diego’s Point Loma and San Ysidro wastewater treatment plants.
United Fund Advisors structured and closed the transaction, utilizing the Renewable Energy Investment Tax Credit twinned with the New Markets Tax Credit.
- Project Type: Biogas/fuel cell
- Size: 4.5 Megawatts
- Greenhouse Gases Offset: 524,562 Metric Tons
- Total Project Cost: $45.0 million
- Total NMTC Allocation: $34.2 million
- United Fund Advisors, LLC
- Biofuels Fuel Cells, LLC
- New Energy Capital, LLC
- US Bancorp Community Development Corporation
- State of California
- New Markets Community Capital VI, LLC