A cast-iron era treasure is preserved in Portland’s historic waterfront district.
The Smith’s Block building, completed in 1872, is one of the oldest buildings in Portland’s waterfront area and a stunning example of cast-iron architecture. RV Kuhns & Associates (Kuhns) purchased the property in 2005 in order to rehahabilitate the space and relocate its Portland office there.
The building was part of the waterfront strategic plan put forth by the City’s redevelopment agency which called for the addition of more day time office employees and retail establishments to the area.
The building’s historic facade has been retained while the interior has received a significant seismic upgrade in addition to a range of interior improvements that enable it to provide very high quality office space for the Kuhns staff.
- Total Project Cost: $9.7 million
- NCF Deployed Allocation: $7.6 million
- Total NMTC Allocation: $19.0 million
- United Fund Advisors (Portland New Markets Fund I, LLC)
- Portland Development Commission
- RV Kuhns & Associates, LLC