Mattapan Community Health Center
A critically needed, new community health facility and retail hub for Boston.
Founded in 1972, Mattapan Community Health Center (MCHC) is a private, nonprofit organization that provides high-quality medical and health education services to Boston residents, particularly for the low-income, medically underserved populations of Mattapan, Roxbury, Dorchester, and Hyde Park.
MCHC currently serves over 7,000 patients annually, 81% of whom have an annual income less than or equal to 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
The long-awaited health center is more than double the size of MCHC’s old facility, and allows for enhancements to MCHC’s extensive medical and dental services, as well as mammography and behavioral health services. The new four-story LEED Silver, 59,000 square foot development includes 16,000 square feet of retail space to houses a bank branch and a new pharmacy—the only one in the immediate neighborhood.
- Create 584 construction jobs; Create and maintain 106 permanent jobs.
- Offset 8,024 metric tons of carbon dioxide.
- Promote environmentally sustainable outcomes by remediating a Brownfield site, monitoring excavation and soils removal to ensure proper disposal of contaminated soil, use of recycled and low VOC construction materials, installation of high efficiency HVAC and lighting controls which minimize energy use.
- Target hiring efforts to low-income persons or residents of low-income communities.
- Provide high-quality jobs that pay living wages and provide benefits, including: health insurance, retirement benefits and employee stock ownership.
- On-going community stakeholder activities include consultation with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the Mayor’s Office and the Mattapan Board of Trade.
- Project houses the first pharmacy in Mattapan Square in over 30 years.
KEY COMMUNITY DEMOGRAPHICS:
- Poverty Rate: 14.3%
- Median Family Income: 72.2% of benchmark
- Unemployment Rate: 1.4 times the national average
- Medically Underserved Area
- Mattapan Community Initiative
- Mattapan Economic Development Initiative
- Brownfield designation
- Total Project Cost: $3.8 million
- NCF Deployed Allocation: $10.1 million
- Total NMTC Allocation: $20.1 million
- United Fund Advisors (National Community Fund I, LLC)
- Mattapan Community Health Center
- Citi Community Capital
- Boston Medical Center; Citizens Bank
- Boston Community Loan Fund; Environmental Protection Agency
- Health Resources and Services Administration